Anyhow, my usual scattered random thoughts for the day. There will be no blogging until near the end of the week, because I have a final Java assignment and three final exams this week.
- I really cannot believe that some people seemed surprised at the Chambliss victory in Georgia. Yes, Atlanta is a very progressive city, but it is surrounded on all sides by a state that is still firmly Deep South in its culture and orientation. Georgia is not North Carolina. Let's not forget the whole Confederate flag issue that gripped the state not too long ago. The only, only reason there was a runoff there in the first place is because of the presence of Georgian libertarian Bob Barr on the ballot coupled with historically high turnout among the state's large African American population. Martin's loss should have come as a surprise to nobody.
- The possibility of Jeb Bush entering the Florida Senate race, now that Mel Martinez won't be running, is frightening to the bone for me. Yes, George W. Bush has irreparably damaged the "Bush" name in American politics. But for some inexplicable reason, Floridians love Jeb Bush. He was responsible, more so than any other single politician, for the basket case that is the Florida educational system. Unlike Charlie Crist, he had no room for governing from the pragmatic center and instead exposed us to some of the worst excesses of right-wing ideology - let's not even get started with the Terri Schiavo mess. Perhaps he won't run, but the other likely possibilities are far from appealing. Marco Rubio? Some redneck Southern Bible-thumper from the Panhandle? Scary thoughts...let's just hope that the Democrats have their game in order this time around. I'll blog on this in more detail in my next "Focus on Florida" post.
- Pennsylvania is Kentucky. In aggregate, I've spent about 5 years of my life in Kentucky. And now that I've lived in Pennsylvania for nearly half a year, I fully understand the "Pennsyltucky" portmanteau. It proves that regional distinctions in this country are somewhat overemphasized. Just as people in the urbanized regions of Kentucky's Golden Triangle (bounded by Louisville, Lexington, and Covington/Cincinnati) have much more in common with Midwesterners in Cincinnati or Indianapolis than they do with Southerners in Memphis or Birmingham, so do people in rural Pennsylvania have much more in common with residents of rural Kentucky or West Virginia than they do with rural residents in Vermont or Maine, even though Pennsylvania is allegedly a Northeastern state. Even the topography of the two states is similar! Let's think about it. Both states grow tobacco, even though it's less of an agricultural staple here. Both states are roughly half Appalachian, half non-Appalachian. Both have plenty of pro-life, socially conservative Democrats (Jason Altmire? Ben Chandler?) who wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of being elected in New England. Both have alcohol control systems that most of us would consider relics of the 19th Century. There are definite linguistic similarities ("pop", "crick", "warsh", etc. etc.) Both have two liberal cities (Lexington/Louisville, Philly/Pittsburgh) surrounded by a vast expanse of hillbilly bumfuckistan. Both are low in minorities. Both are coal-producing states. Both have seen stagnant growth statewide and decline in their largest, industrialized cities. And at the closest points, only four hours and one state separates them. If anything, you might say that Kentucky is a more bucolic version of Pennsylvania. I'm not saying any of this pejoratively; I am just amazed at the similarities between the two states.
- Speaking of Pittsburgh, I really did have a "honeymoon period" when I arrived here, as I think over this semester. It lasted about a month or so. It is remarkably easy to fall in love with this city at first. When you're coming into town on I-279 and go through the Fort Pitt Tunnel and arrive on the other side to see downtown appear majestically out of nowhere, it is really breathtaking. It was captivating to walk around and take in the rich historic architecture. Going up the inclines and seeing a panorama of the hills and rivers, I remember thinking "This is one of the most beautiful cities and natural environments I have ever seen." Compared to South Florida, the local Pittsburghers are impeccably polite, denying persistent stereotypes about people in the Northeast. Most of those sentiments have vanished now. The hills are a pain to walk and drive. The city has its beautiful elements, but large sections are just as disgusting and dilapidated as in fellow Rust Belt hellholes like Detroit and Cleveland. The roads have potholes big enough to swallow small armies, which never seem to get repaired despite CONSTANT construction. The lack of diversity here truly is indicative of the city's Appalachian orientation; less than 1% of Allegheny County is Hispanic (which is heavily reflected in the fact that the best Mexican food to be had is apparently at Chipotle!) The museums and cultural offerings are actually good for a city of this size, but the nightlife is abysmal, and I live in the heart of the student ghetto. When you come from a city and state with 21st Century alcohol laws, it is simply impossible to adjust to the regressive, Prohibition Party style regulations in place in this state. Even though I knew it would be bad, the weather is just...well, there aren't even words to describe it! Day after day, I find myself counting down the days until I can leave this place. But regardless, the Pittsburghers themselves remain a positive aspect. As a group of people, I have rarely seen a more down to earth, unpretentious, friendly and educated group of citizens. I can see how people often characterize this city as Midwestern; that type of common sense, open, practical, approachable mentality is one that most people, myself included, associate more with states like Illinois and Wisconsin than Connecticut or Massachusetts. But again, what did I just say about Pennsylvania and Kentucky?
- Now Carnegie Mellon, on the other hand, is an entirely different story. There was no honeymoon period in that case. I was disappointed with the physical appearance of the university's campus the first time that I saw it, I was turned off by the aloof, socially dysfunctional nature of many of the students, and my opinions of the place have constantly gone downhill since those initial perceptions. I fell in love with the University of Florida as a 10 year old, nearly a full decade before I would become a student there. I have been a CMU student for an entire semester and I still feel quite distant from the school. I constantly talk about UF to people, but find that CMU never even comes up in conversation. I have yet to fully accept it as "my" school, but maybe this will change (I am hoping it will...maybe next semester will be a bit better.)
- After some digging, I found a breakdown of the Amendment 2 voting in Broward County by municipality. You can find it here. Broward is an interesting place; some areas are definitely more suburban than others, but it largely does not exhibit the same type of urban/suburban voting split that is so ubiquitous across America. As proof, take a look at this vote-by-precinct map of the Obama/McCain race in Broward:
There were some "inner-city" areas (albeit wealthy ones) that voted McCain, while the vast overwhelming majority of the county's suburbia - even wealthy places like Weston, Plantation, Parkland, and Coral Springs - voted strongly for Obama. Broward is the liberal stronghold of Florida, so it is only natural that it would end up becoming my adopted home if I chose to stay in the state, as I did. And I was very pleased to see that several parts of the county voted against Amendment 2 - even several suburban ones! The white people in Broward, a large majority being from the Northeast (not Pennsyltucky, the real Northeastern states), are among the most liberal that you will find in any state south of Maryland and east of Colorado. Even though the county narrowly voted for Amendment 2 (largely because of support from the African American community, a topic I've already addressed), I have little doubt that Broward is one of the most gay-friendly areas in which I could hope to live. I love the place: diverse (minority-majority), urban and suburban, beaches and urbanity, sophisticated yet laid back "Florida flip flops" casual, and apparently one of the very few places in America where the suburbs are every bit as socially liberal as the cities. Broward power!- I'm impressed with the caliber of Obama's nominees thus far, even Hillary Clinton. And don't worry, Rachel Maddow - you are most definitely not the only person who finds talk of infrastructure to be sexy! All of these plans to rebuild our infrastructure and green our economy has me salivating at the mouth...
- And last of all today, I'd like to close with the lyrics of a song by Dan Fogelberg. He's one of my favorites, but this particular song wasn't one of his big hits. The title is "Illinois." No, I'm not from Illinois, and even though I've spent significant time in bordering Kentucky, I've only crossed into that state perhaps a dozen or so times in my entire life (although it is, beyond doubt, one of my favorite states.) Fogelberg was born and raised in Peoria, and the state remained a key part of his identity throughout his life. This song is from his second album, Souvenirs, released in 1977. When I first heard it a few years ago, I perceived it to be a song that spoke lovingly of one's home state, and since I have always loved my home state, I could appreciate it. But only now do I fully understand the song's significance. It is a song, in its original context, best applied to the great Midwestern diaspora. People who moved from towns like Rockford, Peoria, and Bloomington thousand and thousands of miles away to the warm hills of Southern California and Arizona in search of a better life, but who never truly felt at home there, who never lost touch with their Midwestern roots. Fundamentally, though, it is a song for anyone who has ever found themselves living somewhere far from home, yet longing to return, knowing very well that the fabric of their identity is inextricably interwoven with the culture, customs, and lifestyle of their home state. Now that I find myself in just that situation, this song really does give me chills every time that I listen to it. You can listen to it by clicking here, and the lyrics are below. I hope you enjoy!
Dan Fogelberg - Illinois
Dusty day dawning
Three hours late
Open the curtains
And let the rest wait
My mind goes running
Three thousand miles east
I may miss the harvest
But I won't miss the feast
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
Illinois...oh, Illinois
South California
Your sun is too cold
It looks like your hills
Have been raped of their gold
I should have come out
When I was first told
This lamb has got to
Return to the fold
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
Illinois...oh, Illinois
Illinois-I'm your boy
Flat on the prairies
Soil and stone
Stretching forever
Taking me home
'Cause I've got a woman
Who waits for me there
And I need a breath of that
Sweet country air
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
Illinois...oh, Illinois
Illinois-I'm your boy...
Dusty day dawning
Three hours late
Open the curtains
And let the rest wait
My mind goes running
Three thousand miles east
I may miss the harvest
But I won't miss the feast
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
Illinois...oh, Illinois
South California
Your sun is too cold
It looks like your hills
Have been raped of their gold
I should have come out
When I was first told
This lamb has got to
Return to the fold
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
Illinois...oh, Illinois
Illinois-I'm your boy
Flat on the prairies
Soil and stone
Stretching forever
Taking me home
'Cause I've got a woman
Who waits for me there
And I need a breath of that
Sweet country air
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
And it looks like you're gonna
Have to see me again
Illinois...oh, Illinois
Illinois-I'm your boy...
No comments:
Post a Comment