Monday, September 21, 2009

A year of growth

On this day one year ago - September 21 (coincidentally immortalized in the Earth Wind and Fire song "September") - I commenced this blog, not even exactly sure of what I wanted to capture here. In my Introductory Remarks post that day, I provided some brief background info on myself and what had inspired me to undertake this endeavor. Even though that was just a year ago, I got sort of amused today by just re-reading that post and laughing at my wide open enthusiasm and optimism on display as a freshly minted grad student at one of the world's best universities. And from that point forward, this blog began to evolve into what it is now - highly personal, highly political, highly emotional, at times highly mundane, but always 100% Adam Harpool. In other words, just the way that I wanted it to be.

Beyond any traces of doubt, this has been one of the most emotionally fulfilling and rewarding long-term projects on which I have ever had the pleasure of working. I can only send my greatest thanks to those who have read my thoughts here and left comments - positive as well as critical - and I hope that you guys will continue to do the same into the future.

And, though I'm hardly one to toot my own horn, I am amazed at the growth of the last year that has been chronicled in this journal. In reading over my posts from the last year, I can literally see before me the refinement and move towards a higher level of sagaciousness of my viewpoint. Beyond doubt, the process has been at times painful - indeed, on more than a few occasions downright miserable - and it will be a very long time before I can decisively say that choosing Carnegie Mellon as opposed to Illinois or another school was a well-grounded route. But also beyond doubt is the fact that I have profoundly grown as an individual and a professional over this period - that I have gained a far broader perspective of the world than I had in July of 2008 - and that I will always remember the process of obtaining my Master's degree as a truly transformational one. I am so glad and fortunate to have captured much of the essence of that transformation here in SoFL 2 SwPA.

Here's to a great year of blogging, and a year marked by incredible change!

No comments: