Friday, November 6, 2009

UF Admission Essay 2: How will you contribute to your generation?

The exact text of my second University of Florida admission essay, written on August 12, 2004. I am so proud that my view of the world as a high school student is largely identical to my view as a 22-year old adult - firmly liberal while firmly realist.
______________________________________________________________________

In the free societies of the world, a tremendous responsibility rests on the shoulders of the young. Those of us fortunate enough to be born in the United States must realize that we live in a society built on the sweet, blood, and tears of our ancestors, people who proclaimed their rights in the face of a corrupt monarchy, fought fiercely to establish a society in which all can attain their maximum potential, and sought to go about changing their lives armed with nothing but a vision and hope. As a result of their valiant efforts the human race received democracy, a gift which has greatly benefited us all.

Today, that democracy is being challenged like never before. Living in a tumultuous era, we are bombarded by the media with images of murdered innocents, emaciated children suffering in Third World slums, violent crime, unemployed parents struggling to feed their families, and many other such horrors. When I was younger and much more naïve, I can remember having the idea that I could somehow change it all; that I could reason with the unreasonable, find justice in the unjust, and firmly implant love in a culture so bitterly divided by hate. As I have matured, those childish fantasies have vanished; when my life is over, I know that those and many more problems will still exist. This realization, however, has only strengthened my desire to want to do all that I can to make the world a better place.

It is certainly true that very few of us will have the power to actually shape the course of history, but the actions of one individual can have an enormous impact. Whether it be mentoring a troubled child, helping a friend who has fallen on bad times, properly managing a business, encouraging higher education, or promoting international cooperation, each and every citizen in the free world can take an immediate role in improving our social atmosphere. Through such relatively small acts of goodness, fairness, and benevolence, I can make my mark in our world.

Perhaps one day in the distant future the lofty goal of worldwide prosperity and harmony may be realized, but until then I can take my small, yet significant, part in moving our world in the right direction. The future, after all, is nothing more than what each of us contributes to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome!