On a dreary Sunday morning
ten years ago this October I awoke – covered in my own vomit – in my apartment
on Atwood Street in Pittsburgh, which at the time looked like a miniaturized
war zone. My laptop was upside down on
the hallway floor with a broken screen hinge; likewise, a favorite lamp of mine
lay shattered in chunks across my tiny bedroom.
I was naked – bloody nose, reeling from the worst hangover I’ve
experienced to-date in my life – with no recollection of what sad events had
transpired the previous evening. In this
state of misery, I did however recall other inconvenient facts which the
handles of tequila had not made vanish:
that after half of a semester I was on the precipice of dropping out of
grad school; that my first romantic relationship was in total shambles; that I
lived in constant fear of my management consulting internship offer being
withdrawn due to the imploding economy; and that the probate process for my
mom’s estate was going nowhere fast, on a daily basis sucking more and more
money out of my nonexistent financial assets.
I laid in bed for that entire day, crying myself back and
forth to sleep with an incessant headache and never wanting to step outside
again.
Thinking back, I now realize that it was the lowest point of
my life - the first and only time when I had no hope that things would ever
possibly get better.
_________________________________________________
Today when I reflect back on 2008 – on all the turmoil and fundamental uprooting of my life which somehow happened to coincide in one hellish year – I usually arrive at the same three emotions: disbelief that a decade, a full third of my life has (seemingly so quickly) passed since then; astonishment that as a green 20/21-year-old I weathered the period while without fail making the correct long-term choices; and, more deeply, a sentiment Brazilians would refer to as saudade, a deep nostalgia sometimes referred to as the love which remains after something uniquely precious is gone.
Saudade, a term with no exact English
equivalent, was introduced to me as a concept during my first trip to Brazil in
2013. It is nostalgia to a degree, but
encapsulated in a far more complex brew of sentiments including a deep longing
for that which is no more and a sense of privation due to the absence of
something; it also often includes an awareness that we will lose what we have
and cherish now to the sands of time eventually. The concept of saudade was beautifully
rendered at the closing ceremony of the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro,
as a pouring rain extinguished the Olympic flame but also irrigated the seeds from
which beautiful new forms of life emerged.
Watching it one wanted to weep violently for what was now relegated to
the past while, at the same time, feeling spiritually uplifted by a reaffirmation
of the greatness ahead, somewhere just past the horizon. And what an unbreakable linkage there is
between those two states, between what has already come and given us our
identity and what shall follow and give us our ultimate destiny.
What eventually got me out of the bed that October and on so
many other bleak days that year was precisely the recognition of this eternal
linkage – as I have expressed it before, the knowledge that nothing we create
ever belongs to us in its entirety. The belief
that the lives we live are built on the legacy of others and that, so long as
our hearts beat and our brains still spark with activity, we have something of
value to contribute to the world through the construction of our own legacies –
even if, as was the case for me so many times in 2008, our personal value may
seem negligible and we have no idea what those contributions might eventually
be.
_________________________________________________
Since 2008 the long-term
choices I made passing through the crucible of that year - choices deeply
rooted in my core values - transformed my life into one of stability,
happiness, and privilege. It is a
privilege and a sense of purpose which would have been entirely foreign to me during
my Pittsburgh years, and even more unimaginable when I was a high school
freshman in the rural Florida Panhandle.
The misery which chained me to my bed a decade ago is, today, replaced
by a boundless gratitude which propels me into the sunshine of each day with an
attitude of plenteousness.
As people far older and
wiser than me would likely have intuited, the rains of 2008 which washed away
so many things that gave me happiness and meaning in my first 20 years provided
fertile conditions for the eventual blossoming of my joy-filled, healthy adult
life in New York City. And while vast
portions of my younger life have indeed been washed away by abrupt events and
the passing of time, mine is an existence made far richer by that sense of saudade
which connects me to those precious memories:
carefree walks on the UF campus with new friends like Carolyn, that
first time holding another man’s hand and being in love, drives through dense
pine forests to Apalachicola to buy fresh oysters with my mom as a teenager
while we chatted, carefree, about life and politics.
While rare for me to quote any religious scripture, sometimes
those pearls of wisdom sum things up nicely:
“my cup runneth over.”
_________________________________________________
To my mom – I still miss you every day, love you eternally, and can never repay all that you gave me. 52 years was far too short.
To my best friends, those
who have always stood by me through my darkest moments – I can never thank you
enough for being there, through thick and thin and all of my quirks, in
unconditional support.
To New York City – those emotions
I felt when I first visited as a kid in the late 1990’s still resonate today. Not a day passes by when I am not supremely
honored to call myself a New Yorker.

No comments:
Post a Comment